Video Tutorial: How to deploy Office 2013 App-V package with System Center 2012 Configuration Manager

I made a video tutorial on how to deploy a virtual Office 2013 application to a Windows 8 desktop client with System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 Beta.

Check it out on youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1hANrvp47k

Advertisements

SCCM 2012 Software Update Synchronization Fails with Unknown SQL Errors

Yesterday I started to configure the Site Server role Software Update Point in SCCM 2012 at a large Dutch Accounting company. We have installed a Central Administration Site with a dedicated SQL 2008 R2 server and a Primary Site also with a dedicated SQL 2008 R2 server. Both SQL environments were installed by the company DBA team.  After configurering the Software Update Point role I started a manual synchronization of the Classifications and Products I selected. I opened the WSUS synchronization log file wsyncmgr.log to see how synchronization occured. When synchronization started I noticed some strange error messages saying:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*** *** Unknown SQL Error!
Failed to sync update 9703dec9-deaf-4566-b966-aeca447a4ba4. Error: Failed to save update a9d8e639-6d3e-4d7c-9ded-0a15c078cc8b. CCISource error: -1. Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.UpdatesManager.UpdatesManagerClass.DefineUpdate
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After some seaching on the Internet (thanks to Carl Tsigakis from Microsoft) I found a similar issue at this blog http://www.acupofit.com/2012/04/unknown-sql-error-entries-in-sccm-log.html and another one http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/nl-NL/configmanagersecurity/thread/d95e4620-880d-435a-a022-f123018a3e5e

Then I checked my database settings because the DBA team moved also my SCCM databases to separate locations for the MDF and LDF files for performance reasons. Indeed my database settings where different than they should be. I dubble checked it with my own lab environment. So here is what I checked and changed:

1. Check the database ownership in SQL Management Studio using the query:

  • Exec sp_helpdb
 
2. Changed the database ownership back to ‘sa’ using the query:

  • USE [SCCM_Db] GO EXEC sp_changedbowner ‘sa’
 
3. Check the TRUSTWORTHY property on the SCCM database.

  • Right click on SCCM database
  • Select options and look for trustworthy property in the list of DB options
 
4. Change the TRUSTWORTHY property on the SCCM database using the SQL query:

  • ALTER DATABASE [SCCM_Db] SET   TRUSTWORTHY ON
 

After changing back the database ownership to ‘sa’ and set the TRUSTWORTHY property to ON, I was able to synchronize successfully. Because I had the exact same databases settings for my Primary Site I changed them also.

Yet another lesson learned “Watch carefully to the database ownership and trustworthy property when you move SCCM databases after the installation!!!

Hope this helps for you.
Best regards
Tom